8.28.2012

Weekend highlights & a side of Sweet & Crunchy Summer Slaw

Pin It
This past weekend was great for a few reasons.

First off, big congratulations to my brother and sister-in-law on the birth of their beautiful baby girl, Ava Rose.  I can't wait to meet the little peanut (in real life).  It will be along 5 months, but we had a great first skype date tonight and some other family members dropped in for a visit!  Talk about perfect timing.  Being away from family is hard, but it's skype dates like this that make you feel like you are still part of the action.  Nothin' like a good skype date.

First we got to meet baby and see mama:
Then my aunt Mary stopped by (while Ava napped in The Monkey Hat):
Then my aunt Jan & my brother Chris joined the party:
 Ava sure is one lucky girl!

Second great thing was that we had our 4 Mile Walk for Water event in Brussels.  It was supposed to be over Labor Day, but due to scheduling conflicts and the fact that there is no Labor Day in Belgium (in September), we pushed it up.  The fundraiser is still open and I encourage you all to walk this coming weekend where ever you are!  We had a great time.  I think it gave each of us something to think about.  We are all truly blessed and it feels good to help those less fortunate.  So far we have provided 24 people with access to clean water for life and raised $600!  If you do walk, please take a pic and send it over.

Here's a quick sample.  More pics to come :)
After the walk we had all of the participants over for a little BBQ action.  Have a BBQ to go to this Labor Day weekend?  Need to bring a side dish?  Try this Sweet & Crunchy Summer Slaw.  A little sweet, a little tangy, it's a palette pleaser. 
The dressing is mostly made up of a yogurt, honey, mustard and lime.  I can only make a slaw sans mayo, so this is key when looking for a dressing and I just so happened to stumble across a wonderful recipe by The Perfect Pantry.
I loved the addition of cranberries to this slaw.  It was a great added flavor.  A bit surprising, but welcome.
Perfect BBQ side after your Labor Day Weekend Walk for Water and perfect end to a wonderful weekend. 

Sweet & Crunchy Summer Slaw
As adapted from The Perfect Pantry

Ingredients:
1/2 small head of red cabbage, chopped
2 carrots, shredded
1/2 head of broccoli, with stem, chopped
1/2 c dried cranberries
1/3 c chopped almonds

Dressing:
1/3 c Greek Yogurt
Juice of 1 lime
2 T Honey
1 1/4 t Dijon Mustard
2 T white wine vinegar
Pepper

Directions:
Whisk together dressing ingredients.   Combine slaw ingredients in a large bowl.  Add dressing.  Mix.  Refrigerate a few hours before serving. 

There you have it a very simple slaw.  Bon Appétit!
 
 And my favorite pic from our skype date!

Pin It

2 comments:

jLynn said...

I'm making the slaw for up north this weekend! I'll let you know how it turns out- lools delish!! And Ava is sooo adorable!!

aglobetrottersfare said...

Let me know what you think of it! I thought it was pretty tasty, especially for a slaw without mayo! I can't wait to meet her!!