7.24.2012

Blueberry Mojito

Pin It Is it too early to talk about cocktails?  It's only Tuesday after all.  I guess I just want to give you plenty of time to get the goods before Thirsty Thursday.  I am nice like that...or it could be that I couldn't wait any longer to share my love for mojitos....

...and the long hot summer evenings (which are few and far between in Belgium...the hot part anyway).  Not just any mojito, though.   A mojito made with a lot of TLC.

And Havana Club.

If the bartender hasn't put TLC into making my mojito, I can tell at the first sip and nothing is more disappointing.

I put a lot of TLC into this Blueberry Mojito.  Paul said "don't quit your day job" (because it took me about 20 minutes to make it), but I was snapping photos in the process.  I think he was pretty impressed with the end result.  Dare I say, it was the best mojito I have ever had and I am a bit of an expert.  Not to toot my own horn or anything.
 Get your ingredients together.  Lime, Mint, Blueberries, Sugar, Sparkling Water, and Rum (preferably Havana).
 Throw in a healthy amount of mint and a teaspoon of real cane sugar.
Add a shot or rum and a handful of blueberries.  Muddle together until most of the blueberries are smooshed and the mint is a shade darker.  This step is most important to bring the delicious flavors out. Squeeze in the juice of one lime.  A lemon/lime juicer will work best. 
Add ice. 
Top with Sparkling Water, a squeeze of lime & fresh mint for garnish.
Enjoy outdoors on a warm summer evening or for afternoon cocktails.

Blueberry Mojito

Serves 2
Ingredients:
a handful of fresh mint, divided
2 small tsp of cane sugar
2 shots rum (Havana, recommended)
a handful of blueberries, divided 
2 1/2 limes (1 for each drink, 1/2 for garnish)

Directions:
Layer mint, sugar, rum and blueberries into a glass.  Muddle flavors together until berries are mostly smooshed and mint is a shade darker.  Add the juice of one lime.  Add ice.  Top with Sparkling water and an additional squeeze of lime.  Enjoy. 

Try it without the booze for a refreshing summer beverage.   

Like Mojitos?  Try my Fall Fig Mojitos!


Pin It

8 comments:

Euminedes said...

"If the bartender hasn't put TLC into making my mojito, I can tell at the first sip and nothing is more disappointing."

Maybe that's because a normal bartender laments the word "Mojito."

aglobetrottersfare said...

Mojitos do take a little extra work (and the price usually reflects this), but there is nothing I prefer more than a perfectly made mojito! This is why I have decided to make my mojitos at home and provide this recipe. If you want something done right…then you have to do it yourself. :)Although there are some places nearby that do make a fantastic Mojito (and have set the bar for everywhere else). Thanks for the comment!

Alistair Oakley said...

I'd have to agree with Euminedes that mojitos are one of the most annoying rinks someone can order. The only thing more annoying than getting an order for four or five mojitos is when 'that guy' comes in and orders an old fashioned when you're rushed off your feet, then gets arsey when you don't do all the theatre. That said, a mojito is beautifully refreshing.

I'd suggest a couple of tweaks to your recipe. It's definitely worth the extra time to make up a batch of simple syrup rather than using sugar as you avoid all that grainy texture at the bottom of the drink. This is my go to recipe for a fruit mojito:

Ingredients:
45ml golden rum (I prefer Havana 5 anos)
30ml fresh lime juice (about one whole lime)
15ml golden simple syrup (see below)
4-5 fresh berries (your choice, but I love raspberries. You can also try scooping out half a passion fruit instead.)
5-6 good mint leaves
Splash of soda water
crushed ice
an extra mint sprig and/or berry to garnish.

1. Stick your lime juice, sugar syrup and berries in the bottom of a tall glass, the muddle the hell ut of them

2. Put the mint leaves in your palm and 'clap' them between your hands a two or three times. This bruises the mint and releases the flavour without breaking the leaves, which can add a nasty bitter taste.

3. Wipe the mint round the top of the glass then add it along with the rum.

4. Fill the glass up to 2/3rds with crushed ice and 'chop stir' the drink by taking a bar spoon, covering the rest of the top of the glass with your hand, then mushing the mix up and down so that everything is well mixed in together.

5. Add a splash of soda then gently chop stir again.

6. Top up the rest of the glass with ice and garnish with a mint sprig and a berry. Serve with a straw and a stirer.

Alistair Oakley said...

I also meant to mention, you can make simple syrup by simply adding equal parts sugar and water and stiring over a low heat until the sugar completely disolves. Caster sugar tastes pretty neutral and can be used to sweeten any drink, whilst using darker sugars adds more flavour and works well with rum.

aglobetrottersfare said...

Sounds delish! I always appreciate tips from readers... as I am just trying things as I go. I will definitely try making a syrup as it doesn't sound like too much extra work! Thanks!

Mike Ross said...

Use confectioners sugar instead of granular.

Alistair Oakley said...

It's definitely worth making. If you put together three parts spirit, two parts lemon or lime and one part simple syrup and shake it up (use a jam jar if you don't have a shaker) you'll get a great cocktail every time. My personal favourite is an amaretto sour (amaretto, lemon and simple)

Hippogryph said...

Thanks for the post