7.31.2012

Banana Oatmeal Muffins

Pin It I can't believe I used to chuck overripe bananas.  What was I thinking!?!?!  Overripe bananas are like gold.  They make everything a little sweeter, a little richer.... and they don't belong in the trash.  I was so young and dumb and wasteful.  Now that I am older, wiser and hopefully more resourceful, I try to snag every overripe bananas and throw 'em in the freezer before the hubs gets to 'em.  I don't think he has a too ripe-o-meter.  I on the other hand, like my bananas pale yellow with a green tint to them.  Last week, I noticed my banana hoarding was getting out of control, so I decided to make these Sticky Banana Oatmeal Muffins.  These muffins are healthy and tasty and are the perfect use for your overripers. 
Before starting the muffins, I made a breakfast smoothie with a frozen banana (like I said my hoarding was getting out of control, I had to put a dent in them).  I know everyone and their mom is doing this already... but it was my first time... and what a difference it makes.  The smoothie texture and flavor was 1,000 times better than one with a regular nanner.  Blueberry + Banana = my favorite.  
I made my smoothie with 1 frozen banana, about 1/2 cup frozen blueberries, 1/2 c plain Greek yogurt and a splash of almond milk.  Perfect way to start your day.

Back to the muffins.  Mix your dry ingredients and your wet ingredients separately.  Add wet to dry.  Once almost combined add the chocolate chips (or add ins of your choice).  Fill greased muffin tin 3/4 full.  Bake at 350 F (176 C) for 15 to 20 minutes.

Once a toothpick comes out clean, remove muffins from oven.  Cool on a cooling rack.  Serve warm..
 ..with a glass of milk.  I can't help but think this would be an afterschool snack your kids would love.

Sticky Banana Oatmeal Muffins
makes about 14 muffins (I used a ramekin for the excess)

Ingredients:
1 3/4 c oats
1 c flour
3 tsp baking powder
1/4 t salt
3 overripe bananas
1 egg
1/4 c sugar
1/4 c brown sugar
1/4 c plain greek yogurt
1 t honey
2 T olive oil
1/8 c milk (I used almond)
1/2 c chocolate chips

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 F (170 C).  Grease muffin tin.  Combine dry ingredients (oats, flour, baking powder, salt).  In another bowl combine wet ingredients (mashed banana, egg, sugar, brown sugar, greek yogurt, honey, olive oil, milk).  Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Once almost mixed add chocolate chips.  Mix completely.  Fill muffin cups 3/4 full.  Bake for 15-20 minutes.

Bon Appétit!


Pin It

2 comments:

JMR said...

So I followed this recipe once before and ended with the bananas left sitting on my counter. I figured I must have just overlooked some important step and figured I'd pay more attention next time.

This time I tried it and noticed that the bananas are never mentioned within the directions. When am I supposed to add them in?

aglobetrottersfare said...

Hey JMR! So sorry about your first muffin batch. I guess its necessary to include the bananas in the recipe..thanks for catching this and I am sorry I didn't realize it sooner! You are supposed to add them with the wet ingredients. I will edit that. I hope you do enjoy them, if you ever attempt to make them again. Again, my apologies!