6.03.2012

Colorful Cabbage Slaw Salad with BBQ Chicken

Pin It I needed a good summer side dish.  I needed something colorful, something light and something crispy.  I used to hate coleslaw, mostly because I am afraid of Mayonnaise more than I am afraid of snakes.  I am working on this fear though, and will even eat it if it is flavored, with hesitation.  But, I'll eat it, and normally I will even like it.  This doesn't change the fact that I am still afraid of Mayonnaise and am way too afraid to use it in a recipe.  Any recipe I come across with Mayonnaise in the ingredient list get the "x" before you can blink your eye.  I needed a good slaw without mayonnaise.

I came across this gorgeous looking slaw on Oh She Glows and had to try it.  It looked to good not to try.   Like Angela, I had never used a cabbage before, so this was the first, but definitely not the last time I plan on experimenting with this beautiful plant.

It seems the salads of summer and getting more and more colorful.  I am okay with that.
Isn't that purple cabbage gorg? 
Just chop it up.
Layer in the carrots, broccoli and red pepper.
 Top with Parsley and Sunflower Seeds.
Pour on the dressing and mix it up.  Refrigerate until serving.

We served this on the side of some grilled barbecue drumsticks. The sweet and spicy drumsticks paired perfectly with the light and crispy slaw.  Definitely will be using this slaw as a side dish all summer long. 
 We made a homemade barbecue sauce that was pretty finger licking good... but I am still partial to Sweet Baby Ray's.  Can you blame a girl?
Combine that all with a sweet potato.  I have to say this was one perfect BBQ combo.  That's two for this season.  For another grilling favorite check out Cilantro Lime Chicken. 

Colorful Cabbage Slaw
As adapted from Oh She Glows

Ingredients:
1/4 purple cabbage, chopped
4 carrots, chopped or shredded
1/2 head of broccoli, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
1 handful of fresh parsley, roughly chopped
3-4 Tbs sunflower seeds
Salt and Pepper

Dressing:
1 1/2 lemons, juiced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbls Olive Oil
5 Tbls Greek Yogurt
1 Tbls Apple Cider Vinegar
2 tsp sugar
Salt & Pepper

Directions:

Combine vegetables.  Top with parsley and sunflower seeds.  Whisk together Dressing ingredients.  Top slaw.  Mix.  Salt and Pepper to taste.  Refrigerate before serving.  

Now, I still have 3/4 cabbage left, any ideas?

Bon Appétit! Pin It

No comments: