5.01.2012

Healthy-ish Banana Choco-chip Muffin

Pin It No muffin is better than a banana chocolate chip muffin.  Banana Chocolate Chip, my friends.  Enough Said.
Is there a better combination (okay, maybe add peanut butter?)?  My freezer was getting full of over ripe bananas so it was time to make a batch of muffins.  My friend, Anna (my crafty and more domestic friend) taught me to throw the overripe ones that are beyond edible into to freezer for breads and muffins (I suppose smoothies, too).  So whenever I collect 4 or so, I make a batch of muffins.  Since this is the one muffin I make on a regular basis, I am going to try to make them a bit healthier each time and document it.  So far, I have taken a recipe I found on allrecipes.com and health-ified it up a bit.  The result was a deliciously, moist Banana Choco-Chip Muffin, that was one of my best yet (seriously). 
Start with those oooover ripe frozen nanners.  Unthaw them for about 1 hour before you start making your muffins.
Preheat your oven to 350 F (176 C) and grease your muffin tin.  Then mix together your dry ingredients in a large bowl.
While this photo looks a little disgusting, you get the point.  Cut the top off of your thawed banana and squeeze it out.  Then mash them up.
Add sugar, brown sugar, a lightly whipped egg, greek yogurt and butter to the mashed nanner.  Mix well.
Add the mixed wet mixture to your dry ingredients.  Once nearly mixed add the choco chips.  Mix until all dry ingredients are moistened.
Fill your muffin cups 3/4.  Then throw in the oven for 18-20 minutes (or until toothpick comes out clean).
Result: Dangerously Delicious Muffins for Breakfast or Dessert.

Banana Choco-Chip Muffins
adapted from allrecipes.com

Ingredients:
3/4 c all purpose flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 t baking powder
1 t baking soda
just shy of a 1/2 t salt
4 medium very ripe (or over ripe frozen thawed) bananas
1/2 c sugar
1/4 c brown sugar
1 egg lightly beaten
1 T unsalted butter, melted
1/3 c 0% fat Greek Yogurt
1/4 c choco chips (more if you want more chocolatey)


Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 F (176C) and grease muffin tin.  Mix dry ingredients (flours, baking soda, baking powder, salt) in a large bowl.  In another bowl, mash your bananas.  Mix in sugar, brown sugar, egg, butter and Greek Yogurt.  Mix well.  Pour wet ingredients into dry.  Mix a little and add choco chips.  Mix only until all dry ingredients are moistened.  Fill muffin cups 3/4 full.  Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.


Bon Appetit!!!!
I am on my second muffin.  Too good.  Need to step away. 
 Stay tuned for another health-ified muffin!
 
Don't forget to enter the giveaway!  Savino Photo Giveaway is announced tomorrow! Click here for the deets.
Pin It

2 comments:

jLynn said...

Looks Delish!! My only problem is I love bananas too much, I eat them too fast for them to go bad. Maybe I'll have to steal some from Anna's fridge next time I'm there ;)

jLynn said...

*freezer